Please Register To See More Content! 

CM Mirror

The Universim Community Lab #6: Planet Types

61 posts in this topic

A planet with multiple suns. This would radically change how seasons and the day and night rhythm work.

A planet that has such a slow rotation that one half of the planet is always in the light, the other in the dark.

A moon orbiting a large planet, thus experiencing strong tidal effects.

And a Terry Pratchet style discworld is always funny ;) 

How about a planet mostly ocean, with a few island scattered around, all with dense tropical rainforests and maybe a mountain or a volcano, A tropical world basically!

1. A Dead Planet: It can be completely barren, not rocks, not vegetation, just land. Or maybe there can be spooky trees.
  2. A gas planet: No land, just gas, the core of the planet will have extreme gravity.
  3. A shadow planet: Completely surrounded by shadows, you can't view what's in front of you, gravity may be weird.

My ideas:

1. How about to bring the game to more customized approach? After it's a God Game =D

Users can create planet and surface palettes of their own, then apply texture and land type (grass, sand, mountain, water etc) so that other players can challenge to colonize your created planets!

2. Game engine generates random planets (like with seed code) with some major planet types:

metallic (iron/copper/aluminum/gold etc), islandic, lavaish/ice (need research a powerful suit to withstand heat & cold), tropical, desert, Oceanic (floating/under-sea city), rockish, diamond planets, fictional planets... even planets from 7th dimension (different quantum properties, such as faster crop growth but also aging, slower sunshine which means slower metabolic rate)

Before I just have to mention that I love that idea above with customizable planets. But I guess it would also feel strange if you just out of nothing create a planet and decide to go there. But the idea is good. Now, I've been trying to think a little outside the box and came up with a few ideas. When doing this I haven't always considered how the nuggets would survive and where/how to get the building materials. But I guess you could get that from the spaceship when leaving your home planet, or any other planet. This is basically planet ideas (maybe even for aliens):

1. Radioactive Planet: Radioactive taste themed planet. Green acid rivers and lakes, dead trees (if any). Most of the planet is covered with rocks and mountains. Since of the radiation you should probably not walk around breathing in the air, since it'll kill you. Maybe your nuggets would need to have suits, and there should be hostile wildlife of course!

2. Fire Planet: A planet very close to the sun which means that you have to build underground. The reason is because when it's not night time the sun will fire up the ground and burn everything in the sun light. Stay out of the sun if you don't want to get burned! The planet should probably be dry and lack water above the ground aswell.

3. Crystal Planet: A planet made of crystals. Crystal trees, crystal mountains, rocks. They don't necessary have to have the exact same color and texture (that would be boring), but I guess you get the idea. Would be interesting if you could add some kind of wildlife to it (if possible of course).

4. Flash-freeze Planet: A planet thats far away from the sun. It's so called you would freeze to ice as quickly as you left the ship. This type of planet wouldn't be colonize able before you have some technology to survive it though. I guess the game is not there yet, but just a though.

5. Shadow Planet: A shadow planet, which means there are clouds and dust in the air covering the sky so the light would have hard getting through. Or perhaps a planet with just a lot of bad weather and storms which in return makes so it's almost always dark (But I guess we could live without the sunlight if we had the technology perhaps, who knows).

6. Pink Planet: A pink alien themed planet. Like pink ground, blue rivers/lakes/sea. Very simple.

7. Dump Planet: A dump planet filled with debris. Mostly a dead planet.

8. Fika Planet: A Cookie planet with coffee water... I would love to taste those trees...

9. Mushroom planet: A planet with mushroom trees and perhaps mushrooms instead of grass. Play a little with the idea.

Another idea is to think about how big the planet/rock is, what it's made of. From there look at gravitational differences and things as how many sun hours and how long the nights are (That would for example affect temperatures), and then implement it on the lives of the nuggets. So when you move away from your mother planet it would be as a start over. You have to begin from 0 and try to survive the new environment. (Well, depends on which planet type and condition of course)

A living planet, a planet that is actually a macro organism that considers you and your settlers as pathogens and thus actively sabotaging colonies through various disasters and animals that act as an immune system. These planets will adapt according to whatever means you use , meaning that you are locked in an arms race  

Christoffer likes this

a planet were it rains glass

a planet covred in ice but the ice is on fire never melting

a planet that was build by a long-dead alien race that can fly though space

a planet..that looks just like earth  (oh come on! we all would love to have earth under our control :P)

A diamond planet , composed entirely of gems . There's actually a star formed from diamonds I think. 

Question : can colonise moons as well as planets 

I'd like to see a planet based on a standard balance of resources- but with a set of biome-ecosystem evolution based on different metals.

Our plants are green, sky is blue, and blood is red- etc... Major factors here are light received through atmosphere, and how energy is transmitted using Mg and Fe in plants and animals.... Based on available mineral deposits and resources. Our nugget planet kind of looks the same.

But a different solar system might have planets composed of different ratios of metals and chemical elements. Just based on how the accretion disks sorted at planetary condensation events. So a planet that supports life doesn't have to be wacked out. It could be "like Mother Planet" with different chemistry.

An example of a planet with a different chemistry....

Let's change the atmosphere (no high Nitrogen layer)... Instead let's make the inert gas Neon. When Neon is excited, it turns kind of reddish orange. Thus, on this planet the Neon based sky could be orange- which would block orange light. The light passing though (most) would be everything other than orange.... Plants could be red, yellow, or maybe purple (instead of Green)- depending on what was used to substitute for the Mg in their chlorophyll and other light harvesting pigments they produce. Let's say Calcium, because Calcium excites to different spectra including multiple colors (to give devs some range with this idea here) and has similar properties.  So for example, if Copper was used in blood- the native animals could be Blue. (See Horseshoe crabs for example-they have copper heme groups, and their blood is blue.)

Since there's a lot of copper and calcium around- the planet would have more copper than Iron in mineral resources- and maybe even green rocks/mountains from the Copper mineral content. Maybe more "white clay" from high calcium content if we ever get pottery.

So maybe think about this- the biomes on planets with a range of chemistry would allow adaptation of existing biomes with "quirks", or creation of different biome types based on what chemicals were found at high levels on the planet.

Edited by Ereketh
forgot why to add why clay is white.

I would like to see a Desert planet, Ice planet, Gas giant, and a Overgrown planet. Also maybe a space station that you would bump into Link.

Desert Planet: would have extremely high temperature at day very cold one at night rainfall: none, temp. high. Life yes worms I feel this be a good example maybe no base "things".

Link:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=q%2bl3kgc0&id=BDCC62034092FC25F29263FD71A9A1A7B336A109&thid=OIP.q-l3kgc0AYLdUIowPhb_hQEsCo&q=no+mans+sky+desert+planet&simid=607986561074463372&selectedIndex=3&ajaxhist=0

Ice: low temp, rainfall none, blizzards yes. life not much (maybe some type of bear). This image works the best

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=0EKryk9Q&id=16423960BAF71B9CE4A127F550F9ABCDE379A19B&thid=OIP.0EKryk9Q7C3u0wL4VByESAEsC5&q=ice+planet&simid=608019254334916841&selectedIndex=18&ajaxhist=0

Overgrown: The planet would make it hard to get around due to all the overgrowth temperature would be moderate rainfall would be high.

Link:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=C7QON%2bOd&id=4E4B496BF7004B1B86DC3389E354B99EBA230B5B&thid=OIP.C7QON-Od_05Vhc4Td-70nQEsDH&q=overgrown&simid=608048357055203377&selectedIndex=10&ajaxhist=0

Gas Giant: You may not even land on it or you may need to build a colony in these. you would have access to SOOO MUCH natural gas from the clouds.

Link:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wqA8j55Q&id=BD4887D09C484412837E6DB715328774FE218513&thid=OIP.wqA8j55Q7TBDHs0kVk7pmQEsEs&q=gas+giant&simid=608000347907360861&selectedIndex=10&ajaxhist=0

Thanks for you time,

Icewave :)

P.S. I'M BACK :D

Planet Ideas :

It would be cool if there was a planet in which you could go with a specific suit and spaceship owing to the fact that this planet would be made of "hot magma", however it would be really intersting to go there because you would find some rare minerals and really usefull resources. 

Furthermore, a black planet can also be an amazing one in my opinion because it would be really cold and light won't reflect it. This means that you would need some advanced stuff on your spaceship. Moreover, is it also possible to create a huge spaceship graveyard in which the nuggets could find advanced technologies and bring them back to their home land, if they successfully escape the spaceship graveyard ....

Hope that these ideas will inspire you :)

PS: I also hope that we can still receive my comunity lab badge if It's not to late :/ ?