Please Register To See More Content! 

Sign in to follow this  
leigero

Thinks that need improvement with the company/game (great game, though).

Thinks that need improvement with the company/game (great game, though).

Hello,

First, I want to compliment the developers and the entire team for the company and game in its current state. It's early, but it's seemingly well polished and beautiful with a ton of potential and I cannot wait for this to be a finished product. If it ends up being half the game it looks like it will be then I'd happily recommend it to everybody when it's finished.  

I have a few comments/feedback/questions, though:  

• Is there a roadmap? I've been lurking, reading updates, and following the progress of this game for over a year. The development seems slow, but of quality which is a good sign. Nobody ever made a quality product with "time" being their only metric. That said, I'd like an informal, no-obligation roadmap to outline the rough estimate on what medium to long term goals are being worked on and rough estimates on their completion. I.E., we plan to work on the industrial revolution phase of the game in the next year, with the game being released sometime in 2019 or w/e.  
  • The community forums here are good, but I think other social media would be better. Few people (these days) go out of their way to visit specific websites to mingle. Sites like Reddit are designed to have an informal community of people helping each other (which could relieve you guys of some of that stress). The current reddit page is dead and depressing as nobody talks there.
  • Question: The progress seems to be relatively slow. It's been 3 years and there's barely ~3 hours of gameplay before the game runs out of content. Are later stages of civilization being worked on yet? I thought, perhaps, they have been, but are excluded from the Alpha for some reason or another, but I don't see any evidence to that end. Everything I've read suggests that the game will encompass all stages of life down to space exploration but after 3 years of development we have only the stone age and the medieval age.
  • The game, is really polished looking and visually beautiful. I love the attention to detail, like the screen getting wet in the rain etc. Those things make this feel like a AAA title. Good job on that.
  • Personal curiosity: how big is the dev team? (I'm a software engineer myself, so I'm just curious).

Road map
roadmap.thumb.jpg.1e4eb99b8a5b7439d2c49a
There is a discord for the game. Bug reports, discussing issues with devs/QA, mingling with other people playing the game, etc., as well as these forums.

They've had the community workshops in forums as well as some posts looking for ideas on other planet models, I would assume it's in process but I'm not part of the team so couldn't answer that one for you, just speculation  :3

Thanks for the roadmap! Where did you find this? This is just what I was hoping to see.

I'm not part of the team, but I think your first two points have been answered

I understand that there are a lot of volunteers involved in the project, as well as paid staff, and that they have staff located all around the world working on the project

In terms of speed - I think progress has been steady. There is a huge amount of work gone in to underlying systems, re-writes for AI, and as you mention, the visuals of the game are superb for this genre, which does take up a huge amount of time. As you will now as a developer yourself, you go through many iterations. I know from past posts etc. that, for instance, the mechanisms are being put in from the ground up for future ages, and this is part of what takes so long, as you are planning so far ahead from a data structure, algorithm, customisability point of view. A number of aspects of the game have also undergone major restructuring.

I don't know how involved you have been since the beginning of this title, but originally, we did all the placing of everything - now the AI does a lot of it (and hopefully a lot more). All of this takes time. IIRC they are generally trying to generate their own IP rather than buy modules, given they have limited money but unlimited dreams (they are NOT a AAA studio!!) :-)

If you go on the Forum, find a post by CM Mirror, click on her name and then you can see all her posts. CM has been the primary poster on their behalf, so I believe a lot of the information you seek is probably in there amongst her 1400 posts. Unfortunately, whilst social media is immediate and powerful, it loses some of its impact as information can get lost in the mists of time, as there isn't a single in-depth article that is easy to find. That said, there are also release notes and occasional articles looking at aspects of the game in more depth.

I hope that helps you to find what you are looking for - I agree, it's a great game and huuuuuuuuge potential!!