Please Register To See More Content! 

Nice to see your steady progress. I really love this game so far! :)
Unfortunately, one recent aspect truly displeases me.

Last time I read the newsletter I thought "please don't let them make the same mistake as every other developer has done before", when I saw the hunting section. But you have done it. Please don't put the wolves in the wrong light again! I can't believe that everyone seems to think they are totally bad and aggressive. I hate these fairy tales! Can you please try to avoid this? Just try to make them attack only when absolutely inevitable. Normally wolves run away from nuggets, except they are ill or regularly get food from them ;)

Thank you very much!

Well couldn't that be said about most animals in the animal kingdom? Lions, tigers, bears are all shown to be aggressive however it is quite the opposite,

As far as I know Wolves are predators thus making them a would-be enemy is not completely unjustified.

In RL, you are correct, Wolf attacks are rare because wolves are often subsequently killed, or even extirpated in reaction by human beings.

That being said, one must remember that it is a video game and should be taken too seriously.

First off all, thanks for the response. I agree with your first line, but I cannot accept the rest as is. (Your second line is mostly economical mind?)

In general all of these animals are predators and yes, their behavior naturally is of some sort of aggressivity. But it depends if you count as prey or not and each animal has its own traits. Some are more shy towards humans and some are not. Usually animals only react to threats. Some Bears (e.g. grizzlies) tend to attack more often than others, but wolves will not encounter you as far as possible. This has nothing to do with extinction, it has to to with their characteristics. In countries where wolves still (or again) live today the attacks are as rare as always.

I also disagree with video games have no responsibility for such facts. Sorry to say this, but not all people are aware of the difference between reality and games or even movies or fairy tales. They often believe what is given to them as real facts. I really often have to explain the real behavior of such animals (not only wolves) to people I meet, if the topic occures. I call this the red riding hood syndrome. Such stories and other media destroyed the image of wolves. People do not care for the truth as long as everyone tells the same.

I hope this will be implemented as realistic as possible. I cannot take another game with these stupid stereotypes.

I agree @CrescentEclipse. Many see wolves as big and bad, but in general they are shy and don't often get close to humans. However, all fairytales and people being mad cause they sometimes lose a sheep or two paint wolves as bad, others tend to think that way. Only time I've heard about wolf attacks is when someone is walking around with a dog. I'm guessing thats cause the dog is seen as a threat to the territory or such.

If wolves are bad, what are we? We are the reason many animals are close to extinction today cause we destroy the environment and the areas where they live, and some even hunt animals for sport. Yet again, we can't be afraid of ourselves. Or can we?

Sadly I don't know any solutions to fix this, since the game tends to make them able to attack, and to me that seems like a nice feature to the game. But ye, wolves are generally seen as more aggressive and scarier when they deserve. They attack when they feel threatened.

To make it clear, I like the wolf attacking village feature. But if a tooltip or something is added to the tutorial at a later stage, make sure people knows that wolves are not that bad as people tend to think.

@CrescentEclipse

My second line is not economical, I am simply stating that using wolves as the would-be "enemies" is understandable. What would make this an economical response?

Yes you are correct that many games do not represent facts in a realistic light, but I believe you take the game a bit too seriously and perhaps you generalize too heavily on the average joe's understanding of what is real and what is not.

If Crytivo Games where making a Wildlife simulator where the crux of the development was correct animal behavior traits, my argument would be totally different.

My ultimate argument is that you bought a God-like City Building game, thus been critical on the wildlife characteristics is a bit out of the scope of what you actually bought into, unless I missed out that the aim was to simulate actual wildlife behavior. As mentioned before if you bought into a Wildlife Simulator then I would understand your frustration completely.

I'm really happy to see you are passionate animals as I believe we require more people like you however i think in this case you might be a bit too critical on the matter.

It is econimical, cause there is no other reason why wolves should be an enemy at all. The only reason is due to the fact that they sometimes steal a sheep or two and this will result in lesser profit. Or do I have a wrong view at the picture? I think this is how it unfortunately works today...

And yes, this is not a wildlife simulation. I must truly admit it. But isn't Crytivo Games also not the standard developer and publisher out there like EA or other companies?

Why the hell should they care about a complete other set of species they invent from the scratch? Wouldn't this be more innovative?

Why always depend on deadlocked structures like "wolves are bad and will always be bad"?

I personally think this is just a poor excuse. My only criticism is that they don't think about it, just make the same as everyone else. I expect more from an indie dev team.

PS: Thank you for your praising words. Sorry if my words sometimes seem to be offensive, but it is frustrating to see the same wherever I look at. I hope you understand.

I think this could go on forever.

Lets rather agree to disagree, I am not saying you are wrong but IMO you might be expecting something that Crytivo Games didn't originally promise.

Perhaps they will read this and think otherwise, perhaps they keep them in.

Yes, that might be the case. Too bad. But it is a community driven game and every opinion counts. Who knows, maybe my words will sometimes change a little bit here and there...

Oh, I missed this one. And it's a nice one.

And I don't want to jump into the discussion of how bad a wolf really is (but I'm happy they are kind of back in the woods of e.g. Sweden and Germany). I think we all agree that hunting will do great in the game (no matter if it's hunting nuggets or hunting animals). But I'd jump in cancelling the idea of wolf-attackers because: stereotype.

Wolfs being the bad and aggressive hunters? We've all seen that so much.

Don't get me wrong. I saw some time ago an art with a little red riding hood nugget and a wolf. A nice reference to the fairy tail. But in the game there won't be this reference I think. The wolf will be just the normal predator stereotype. And that's not what The Universim is about (at least I think).

For animal example: turtles. I was suprised that of all animals turtles were one of the first implemented. I espeacially like the turtles and the foxes - they are not the usual ones.

So in my humble opinion wolves should be replaced in their role as agressive predetor role. Not because they aren't predators but we've seen that enough.

But I still love to see wolves in the game.

What about them beeing chased from the woods where nuggets are - but starting to be aggressive as the cities grow and the woods getting smaller?

Hi Ypsilon and thanks for your kind words.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Ypsilon:

The wolf will be just the normal predator stereotype. And that's not what The Universim is about (at least I think).

But I still love to see wolves in the game.

That's exactly the same I think. Why not make something unique?

Later in the game they want to implement sifi elements and at the stone age things tend to be not the "normal" evolution as well.

What about options to interact differently with all kinds of animals? (universim wants to be a god game, doesn't it!? Teach nuggets their lesson :emoticon-00116-evilgrin:)

But why bother with animals existing on earth at all? I think gamers exist who love at least one of their kind. It wouldn't be that sad if we have completely unknown species.

Like mentioned before, if this game hasn't the demand to be realistic, then just don't do it. But not in the way everyone else does it already.

There are so many ideas out there...

Nah, the reference to this world is way to strong. Therefore you can't just come up with completely unknown species on the motherworld of the nuggets. (The nugget motherworld is a somehow abstracted version of our earth, therefore the animals there are somehow abstracted versions of ours.)

I'd totally love some very unkown animal species on other planets though.

If we could have brought the stretchgoals at kickstarter this far we would have had dinosaurs too. I'm sure Raptors would have taken the place of the wolves now. Though I love Raptors but that would be the first thing coming to mind thinking of predators too. I just wish for a little twist. Like flying dinosaurs (if we would have reached the stretchgoal for that) picking up unwary nuggets.

So .. what would be such a twist in stoneage. Frankly I have no ideas. Maybe aggressive boars in autumn?

Or - let's keep the wolves as predators. There will be a narrator I think. Let's talk him about wolve incidents every time as if there is a little red riding hood nugget. Like "though it has a strong beard and hairy legs, little red riding hood Adahy was attacked by wolves and lost not only the expensive Bordeaux-wine (trying getting Eloy ready creating little nuggetlings) but also his life."