Please Register To See More Content! 

Roumsen

Interaction with aliens

Hey people!

Today it's me who's talking about something, what was already discussed/mentioned in various other threads.

Interaction with aliens

As we all know there will be aliens and there will be wars in the Universim. But should that be the only point whereupon it boils down to?

The way I see it there are two possibilities:

There is only one alien life form, which is to be found in different locations in space in various forms of development but only with the target to wipe out the civilization of the player.

There are several different alien life forms with a huge range of character traits, from peaceful to hostile, but also findable in various stages of development.

The fact is, of course, that there could be an enemy.

But what would that mean in terms of the above two options?

possibilty 1

It
' s clear from the beginning of the game that there is an enemy which you have to fight with.

It' s clear from the beginning of the game who's this enemy.

It' s clear from the beginning of the game that there won't be any other social interaction with the aliens than "violence",which in turn would make  the social and technical development of the own civilization  focusing exclusively on " violence".

The problem I see with this possibilty is the tech tree and therefor the "heading" of the game. I fear that it would have an almost linear course with few opportunities to found/get an unique Civilization.
It's just about making war.

possibility 2 (my favorite)

It' s clear from the beginning of the game that there are several alien races which could be the enemy.

It' s clear from the beginning of the game that you can't know which of the alien races will be/become an enemy.

It' s clear from the beginning of the game that there will be several ways of social interaction and thus more opportunities for social and technological development.

In this case the tech tree could be extensive with many opportunities to develop and to become unique.

The player would have to weigh up how he will influence the development of his minions depending on how he wants to behave in dealing with aliens.

This does not exclude the act of war, because even if the player opts for the peaceful handling,could it be that there will occur "events" during the play which could make military actions necessary.

It's not just about making war.

I personally prefer a vibrant universe with complex societies, like in Star Wars, Star Trek, The Hitchhiker's Guide through the galaxy and so on because I think that something like that would fit to the Universim.

I apologize in advance that I may have not addressed certain points correctly. But I think it's clear what I'm talking about.

Now you are free to express yourself, if you want. Regards.

I'm really in for this idea of having multiple alien races with different approaches towards your civilization :D

Scenario 1 is so straightforward there isn't much to add.
Start at nothing, end with total interplanetary war. Detours in your civ's development all lead back to... total interplanetary war.

Scenario 2

What means or mechanics of interaction with aliens would there be?

• Open warfare, of course.
    What kind of? What is the objective?
    • Defend your home planet from abductions / raids / strikes.
      Basically XCOM, I guess.
      This can involve quite a few ground structures for garrisons / defenses as well.
    • Break a blockade that an alien race has established around your planet.
    • Interdiction of smugglers in your space or on the ground, be it aliens or your own criminals.
    • Fight for space superiority in "your" territory to increase the depth of your defense.
    • Hiring mercenaries or pirates. (letter of marque)
    • Invade enemy space to achieve space superiority and conduct an uhh... forward defense.
    • Blockade an alien planet, cutting off it's trade of resources.
    • Conquer an alien home planet, eradicating / enslaving the population and taking the planet for yourself.
  • Espionage
    • Information gathering: SIGINT
      • Send out automated spy satellites / probes / drones.
      • Listen into alien / enemy communications.
    • Information gathering: HUMINT
      • Take over / bug alien communication.
        Insert / recover a SpecOps team for that.
      • Insert / generate false information.
      • Insert agents (how?) or corrupt / brainwash aliens for the purpose.
      • Acquire resources / ships / technology.
    • Assassinate leaders or other key members.
    • Abduct and interrogate the same.
    • Investigating their contacts to other races and their relations.
    • Framing a 3rd party to lower their relation to each other.
  • Research
    • Add up acquired information and make sense of it.
      How do these aliens "tick"? What do they want? Can we talk to them and how?
    • Another thread where I had outlined how research could be affected when two species meet.
    • Figure our what they have researched or are researching.
    • Research countermeasures against unique forms of attack like psionics, kinetic energy weapons, nukes...
    • Figure out their weaknesses.
    • Cooperate and research unique technologies that neither race can develop on it's own.
  • Trade
    • Peaceful trade of resources.
    • Extortion. (an offer they cannot refuse)
    • Trade blockade, uni- or bilateral.
    • Import / export taxes.
  • Diplomacy
    • Improving relations through diplomatic missions, embassies, possibly by building cultural exchange centers once the aliens are "researched" to some degree.
    • Paying / demanding tribute.
    • Treaties.
      The 4X classics of non-aggression pact, research or trade treaty, alliance, declaration of war...
    • Demanding actions like declaring war or making peace with a 3rd party.

You know, just some options off the top of my head. =P

I realise that this isn't very detailed and there is not actually a useful suggestion in there. It's just a list of all broad areas of interaction I could think of.

Alas, it won't get much more detailed pending some information on how these parts of the game will be structured and what level of detail will be modeled. *shrug*

This is a great posting thread.  You guys pretty much nailed it.  I assume that the devs will go with option two and its much more nuanced interaction menu than simply have us start whaling away at someone the minute first contact happens!

Why does one of them HAVE to be your enemy tho? I would rather be besties forever with all my alien pals or at least respectfully ignore each other instead of always fearing to be overrun by non-earthly beings. 

I really do hope there will be options for varying gameplay styles like turning hostile aliens on/off. Or at least having the possibility to turn hostiles intro friends with enough diplomatic work.  :)

BFF?

We need to add this to the list of possible alien relations.

Why does one of them HAVE to be your enemy tho?

Just changed the OP from "have to be" into "could be". Satisfied?! :D

sure I'm also more a peace-loving guy and don't exclude your way of handling.

But also I think that a little bit of war makes sence to prevent that the game will become  boring.

Completely satisfied. <3

A bit of both worlds is fine with me too, like I said, I'd welcome it if there were options for individual gameplay preferences, similar to Don't Starve, where you can choose between stuff like less/more resources, hostile/friendly/balanced enviroment. Stuff like that.

I often find things in games that make me feel like I'd enjoy the game 1000x more if they weren't around and a simple option of turning certain things off/on would usually fix that, so I'm always really glad about any games that give me the option to decide how I want to play... at times even I enjoy being a ruthless warrior princess, but it's just so nice to have the option to be the diplomatic explorer and live out my peaceful urges. 8)

I also just don't like enemies being forced on you just for the sake or war. Games CAN indeed be super interesting without any fighting at all. ;)

I'd welcome it if there were options for individual gameplay preferences, similar to Don't Starve, where you can choose between stuff like less/more resources, hostile/friendly/balanced enviroment. Stuff like that.

I suggest that you should post a thread about this! ;)

I don't really think that's necessary tho, as I've got a feeling the forum team is very thorough with reading everyone's posts. I'll just keep mentioning it every now and then in all the other suggestion threads. ;)

I personally prefer a vibrant universe with complex societies, like in Star Wars, Star Trek, The Hitchhiker's Guide through the galaxy and so on because I think that something like that would fit to the Universim.

Yes, that would be nice, but for my part i dont need a to strong trading part in a game.

Diffrent fractions and different soloutions.

For example if you meet an unknown race that loves Cows and you hurt your cows, then they are going mad and try to beat you down.

Without diplomatic relations you dont know that.

For well relationship you need trust.

Depending on race developement trust can be generated in different ways, but not the standard bribe/trade system would be nice.

I hated it always when in a game is an option to get rich quick through trade, and then you can pay for unidomination.

Its like cheating.

What would we do when we meet an alien race in reallife?

1. Is dumb

2. Starting developement Nuclear age.

3. Much more smarter and better developed.

In most strategic games, if it comes to diplomatic for me, im always diplomatic till im strong enough to whack some heads.

But i always do it peaceful.

im always diplomatic till im strong enough to whack some heads.

But i always do it peaceful.

"Please accept these two thermonuclear warheads as a sign of our gratitude for your insistence on visiting our planet."

Diffrent fractions and different soloutions.

This was at least the main reason why I started to think about social interaction and all the possible ways of handling.

(Honestly I wasn't that detailed as Gazz was.)

I think that a model like this would be a good possibility to make the Universim not only more lively but there also would be good reasons to play the game again because you would be able to play in a competely different way.

(In addition to that I also hope that it won't be possible to play the game two times in the same manner with the same results!)

I'm generally in favor that everyone is able play the game the way he/she wants to.

(And this concerns not only the interaction with aliens but also all other "levels" of the game.)

Start at nothing, end with total interplanetary war. Detours in your civ's development all lead back to... total interplanetary war.

Scenario 2

Basically XCOM, I guess.
      This can involve quite a few ground structures for garrisons / defenses as well.
    • Interdiction of smugglers in your space or on the ground, be it aliens or your own criminals.
    • Fight for space superiority in "your" territory to increase the depth of your defense.
    • Invade enemy space to achieve space superiority and conduct an uhh... forward defense.
    • Conquer an alien home planet, eradicating / enslaving the population and taking the planet for yourself.
  • Espionage
  • Research
    • Another thread where I had outlined how research could be affected when two species meet.
    • Research countermeasures against unique forms of attack like psionics, kinetic energy weapons, nukes...
    • Cooperate and research unique technologies that neither race can develop on it's own.
  • Trade
    • Import / export taxes.
  • Diplomacy
    • Improving relations through diplomatic missions, embassies, possibly by building cultural exchange centers once the aliens are "researched" to some degree.
    • Treaties.
      The 4X classics of non-aggression pact, research or trade treaty, alliance, declaration of war...

I realise that this isn't very detailed and there is not actually a useful suggestion in there. It's just a list of all broad areas of interaction I could think of.

Alas, it won't get much more detailed pending some information on how these parts of the game will be structured and what level of detail will be modeled. *shrug*

Please. ^^ THIS!

it would be pretty cool to have more then one alian race, and I would think it would be cool if there was some who is less develept then you or more.

I also think that you shuld no be able to know if they are nice or mean but have to hold your gard up, but you ca risk it and spy on the enemy/unkown to be able to know if they are ploting against you.

and it would be cool if you could spread you relegion/-s to them to know make them follow you and taht you will be able to controll them ( this is from my earlier post about religion https://theuniversim.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2328-religion/ )

But this is really intressting ideas and I would like to see this in the end game :D

Yes this plz

Scenario 2

Basically XCOM, I guess.
  • Espionage
  • Research
  • Trade
    • Import / export taxes.
  • Diplomacy
    • Treaties.

sounds perfect... I would even like to start with like 3 gods on mother planet... and so each living planet, like max 10 would start so looking which will prevale or just cooperate till others will move on to other planets...

Good question. I am personally aswell for as many options as possible, at least for the sandbox mode. Alien behavior, ressources (wasn't there something about a motherplanet editor? So this might be aswell be in).

To the Aliens:

possibility 1:

Could be a scenario for the campaign, but for the normal gameplay i wouldn't endorse it. Otherwise it would really develop to a science race and military buildup game, to be able to fight the enemy then.

possible 2:

Different advanced civilisation should exist in all games, aswell in sandbox games. But the game should let the player chose in sandbox mode, how the aliens behave.

I personally suggest 3 different options:

Expansion behaviour:

1. expansionistic:

1.1 unlimited:

The races would spread infinite and over the whole map.

1.2 sector:

The races would spread in an sector, possible to the 2-3 next systems.

1.3 next systems:

The races would only spread to their neighboring systems.

1.4 none:

They would stay in their systems.

2. Aggression:

2.1 aggressive:

The races would send scouts and depending on their behaviour, they send warships to planets in their range to attack.

2.2 passive:

Even more aggressive races wouldn't really attack, if the player won't provoke a combat by entering their system. They might spread, but they won't attack a player, who hasn't visited them. On this mode, the player could completly avoid an attack, if the observe very careful.

2.3 defensive:

Even the aggressive races would only attack player ships, if they enter their systems. But even after the player attacked them, they won't launch a counterattack.

Some options like this would be nice for the sandbox mode. Possible aswell an option to set the number of the gods on the motherplanet ranging from 1 (only the player) - supported max number.

Aswell a difficulty setting might be nice, who would control ai spread speed, strength and development. This option could be aswell available in the campaign and more detailed options, like configure the spread speed and the strength and technology progression of the aliens with more details in the sandbox mode.